Post Commander Mark Kramer, left, and Legion member Harley Reabe discuss details on the Grand Army of the Republic banner, featuring thread-work reading “Dartford” and the stylized letters “Wis,” standing for “Wisconsin.”
Post Commander Mark Kramer, left, and Legion member Harley Reabe discuss details on the Grand Army of the Republic banner, featuring thread-work reading “Dartford” and the stylized letters “Wis,” standing for “Wisconsin.”

A rare piece of history returned to Green Lake’s American Legion Post 306 this month.

Generations of Legionnaires and visitors have walked past the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) banner that hung in the post’s former building, a home purchased in 1955.

But the banner fluttered above the heads of Green Lake veterans long before gracing the entrance to the post.

In fact, it predates the Legion chapter and Green Lake itself.

Gold thread-work on the banner’s blue velvet reads “Dartford, Wis.,” the former name for the village that became the city of Green Lake.

It’s been a part of the post’s collection since the Harry Randall Post 202 of the GAR became the Willis Chapel Post 306 of the American Legion in 1928.

“That banner hung in here, in the old building ... It was in a case with all the other Civil War memorabilia,” Post Commander Mark Kramer said. “And we never really paid a lot of attention to it.”

When the post began discussing the construction of a new building, members noticed the banner was in need of restoration.

Read the full story in the Jan. 26, 2017 edition of the Ripon Commonwealth Press.